By D. Judge
Read or Download Democratic Incongruities: Representative Democracy in Britain PDF
Best political philosophy books
This research makes a massive contribution to our knowing of 1 of crucial and enduring strands of recent political inspiration. Annelien de Dijn argues that Montesquieu's aristocratic liberalism - his conviction that the maintenance of freedom in a monarchy required the life of an aristocratic 'corps intermédiaire' - had a persisted effect on post-revolutionary France.
The query of whilst or if a kingdom may still interfere in one other country’s affairs is without doubt one of the most crucial matters in today’s unstable global. Taking John Stuart Mill’s well-known 1859 essay “A Few phrases on Non-Intervention” as his place to begin, diplomacy student Michael W. Doyle addresses the thorny factor of while a state’s sovereignty could be revered and whilst it's going to be overridden or skipped over through different states within the identify of humanitarian defense, nationwide self-determination, or nationwide defense.
This edited assortment bargains a comparative method of the subject of multiculturalism, together with diversified authors with contrasting arguments from diverse philosophical traditions and ideologies. It places jointly views which have been mostly missed as legitimate normative how one can handle the political and ethical questions that come up from the coexistence of other cultures within the similar geographical area.
Whereas a lot literature exists at the paintings of Stanley Cavell, this is often the 1st monograph on his contribution to politics and useful philosophy. As Andrew Norris demonstrates, although skepticism is Cavell's relevant subject, Cavell is familiar with it no longer as an epistemological challenge or place, yet as an existential one.
- Understanding Political Science Statistics: Observations and Expectations in Political Analysis: Volume 2
- Policy Practice and Digital Science: Integrating Complex Systems, Social Simulation and Public Administration in Policy Research (Public Administration and Information Technology)
- Ethical Questions and International NGOs: An exchange between Philosophers and NGOs: 23 (Library of Ethics and Applied Philosophy)
- Utilitarian Biopolitics: Bentham, Foucault and Modern Power
- Patrick Henry-Onslow Debate: Liberty and Republicanism in American Political Thought
Extra resources for Democratic Incongruities: Representative Democracy in Britain