By Ivor Timmis
Corpus Linguistics for ELT offers a pragmatic advisor to project ELT-related corpus examine. aimed toward researchers, complex undergraduate and postgraduate scholars of ELT and TESOL, and English language lecturers, this volume:
- covers corpus study normally components of language examine proper to ELT: grammar, lexis, ESP, spoken grammar and discourse;
- presents a assessment of appropriate corpus learn in those components, and discusses the consequences of this learn for ELT;
- suggests power ELT-focused corpus examine initiatives, and equips the reader with the entire required instruments and strategies to hold them out;
- deals with the transforming into zone of learner corpora and direct school room program of corpus material.
Corpus Linguistics for ELT empowers and conjures up readers to hold out their very own ELT corpus examine, and should let them in flip to make an important contribution to corpus-informed ELT pedagogy.
Read or Download Corpus Linguistics for ELT: Research and Practice (Routledge Corpus Linguistics Guides) PDF
Best linguistics books
Queer linguistics has only in the near past constructed as a space of research; even though educational curiosity during this box is speedily expanding. regardless of its transforming into allure, many books on ‘gay language’ specialise in deepest dialog and small groups. As such, Public Discourses of homosexual males represents an enormous corrective, through investigating a variety of resources within the public area.
This ebook makes a speciality of the theoretical origin of notetaking (NT), a vital ability of consecutive studying. Explaining the "whys" relating the cognitive, linguistic, and pedagogical concerns surrounding NT, this booklet addresses this ignored element of notetaking discourse and brings jointly so much up-to-date and diverse, if now not opposing, theoretical views by way of major researchers and practitioners from either the West and the East: France, Germany, Taiwan, and Japan.
This e-book goals to augment and problem our figuring out of language and literacy as social perform opposed to the heritage of heightened globalisation. Juffermans provides an ethnographic research of the linguistic panorama of The Gambia, arguing that language may be conceptualised as a verb (languaging) instead of a countable noun (a language, languages).
It's been argued that houses of the visual-gestural modality impose a homogenizing impact on signal languages, resulting in much less structural edition in signal language constitution in comparison to spoken language constitution. in spite of the fact that, until eventually lately, learn on signal languages used to be constrained to a few (Western) signal languages.
- Language Change in Central Asia (Contributions to the Sociology of Language [CSL])
- Grammatical Theory and Bilingual Codeswitching (MIT Press)
- Assessment in Second Language Pronunciation
- Bridging Inferences: Constraining and Resolving Underspecification in Discourse Interpretation (Language, Context and Cognition)
Additional info for Corpus Linguistics for ELT: Research and Practice (Routledge Corpus Linguistics Guides)