By Robin Tolmach Lakoff,Laurel Sutton
This quantity bargains a retrospective research of Lakoff's paintings, with every one paper preceded via an creation from a well-known linguist within the box, together with either contemporaries and scholars of Lakoff's paintings, and additional, Lakoff's personal dialog with those responses. This enticing and, every now and then, relocating reevaluation will pay homage to Lakoff's far-reaching impression upon linguistics, whereas additionally serving as an strange type of autobiography revealing the a long time' lengthy evolution of a scholarly career.
Read Online or Download Context Counts: Papers on Language, Gender, and Power PDF
Best linguistics books
Queer linguistics has just recently constructed as a space of research; besides the fact that educational curiosity during this box is quickly expanding. regardless of its starting to be charm, many books on ‘gay language’ specialize in inner most dialog and small groups. As such, Public Discourses of homosexual males represents an immense corrective, via investigating a variety of resources within the public area.
This ebook specializes in the theoretical beginning of notetaking (NT), a vital ability of consecutive examining. Explaining the "whys" concerning the cognitive, linguistic, and pedagogical matters surrounding NT, this ebook addresses this ignored point of notetaking discourse and brings jointly so much up-to-date and varied, if no longer opposing, theoretical views via prime researchers and practitioners from either the West and the East: France, Germany, Taiwan, and Japan.
This e-book goals to reinforce and problem our knowing of language and literacy as social perform opposed to the heritage of heightened globalisation. Juffermans provides an ethnographic research of the linguistic panorama of The Gambia, arguing that language can be conceptualised as a verb (languaging) instead of a countable noun (a language, languages).
It's been argued that houses of the visual-gestural modality impose a homogenizing impression on signal languages, resulting in much less structural edition in signal language constitution compared to spoken language constitution. even if, until eventually lately, examine on signal languages used to be constrained to a few (Western) signal languages.
- Grammar in Everyday Talk: Building Responsive Actions (Studies in Interactional Sociolinguistics)
- Final Particles (Trends in Linguistics. Studies and Monographs [TiLSM])
- The Prefunctional Stage of First Language Acquistion (RLE Linguistics C: Applied Linguistics): A Crosslinguistic Study (Routledge Library Editions: Linguistics)
- Fixing Babel: An Historical Anthology of Applied English Lexicography
- Reading Development and Difficulties in Monolingual and Bilingual Chinese Children: 8 (Literacy Studies)
- Errors in Language Learning and Use: Exploring Error Analysis (Applied Linguistics and Language Study)
Additional info for Context Counts: Papers on Language, Gender, and Power