By Paul A. Pickering,Alex Tyrrell
Read Online or Download Contested Sites: Commemoration, Memorial and Popular Politics in Nineteenth-Century Britain (Studies in Labour History) PDF
Similar uk history books
The Conservative, Lord Randolph Churchill, and the Liberal, Joseph Chamberlain, have been trendy in Irish affairs of state from the mid 1870s. even though on contrary facets of the home, they united in 1886 and back in 1893 to defeat the 1st and moment domestic Rule accounts. whereas ostensibly distinct in historical past, politics, and temperament, they have been finally united of their universal desire-to hinder an Irish Parliament in Dublin.
Utilizing south-western England as a spotlight for contemplating the continuing position of witchcraft and demonology in provincial tradition within the interval among the English and French revolutions, Barry indicates how witch-beliefs have been intricately woven into the material of lifestyle, even at a time after they arguably ceased to be of curiosity to the expert.
This research is anxious with the 'Old' Labour correct at a serious juncture of social democratic and Labour politics. It makes an attempt to appreciate the complicated transition from so-called 'Old correct' to 'New correct' or 'New Labour', and locates at the least the various roots of the latter within the complexity, tensions and fragmentation of the previous through the 'lean' years of social democracy within the Nineteen Seventies.
This ebook explores the emergence and progress of nation accountability for more secure and more healthy operating practices in British mining and the responses of labour and to increasing law and keep watch over. It starts off with an evaluate of operating perform within the coal and metalliferous mining industries on the sunrise of the 19th century and the dangers concerned for the miners, prior to charting the increase of reforming curiosity in those industries.
- London's Criminal Underworlds, c. 1720 - c. 1930: A Social and Cultural History
- Marriage, Performance, and Politics at the Jacobean Court (Studies in Performance and Early Modern Drama)
- Heaven and Earth in Anglo-Saxon England: Theology and Society in an Age of Faith (Studies in Early Medieval Britain and Ireland)
- Ideas and Economic Crises in Britain from Attlee to Blair (1945-2005) (Routledge Explorations in Economic History)
- Public Health and Municipal Policy Making: Britain and Sweden, 1900–1940 (Historical Urban Studies Series)
- The Legal History of Wales
Additional info for Contested Sites: Commemoration, Memorial and Popular Politics in Nineteenth-Century Britain (Studies in Labour History)