By Laura Copier,Caroline Vander Stichele
Explore new routes into the burgeoning box of biblical literature and picture theory
The current selection of essays is a sequel to the groundbreaking Semeia seventy four factor, released in 1996, entitled Biblical Glamour and Hollywood Glitz. those new essays show off the divergent methods from movie stories and cultural experiences that may be utilized in the visible research of biblical and non secular topics, narratives, and characters in cinema. it's the first quantity that particularly addresses problems with method, thought, and research within the learn among bible and picture. As such, this assortment is of curiosity to students in movie experiences and theology/religion/biblical reviews, who're invested in doing interdisciplinary learn within the increasing box of faith and film.
- particular specialize in equipment of movie research, instead of the extra universal concentrate on thematic research within the research of faith, Bible, and picture.
- Visual research within the stumble upon among Bible and film
- Fourteen essays and an advent through most sensible students within the field
Laura Copier is Assistant Professor of movie and tv experiences at Utrecht collage. Her learn is targeted at the interdisciplinary alternate among faith and pop culture, movie specifically. She is the writer of Preposterous Revelations: Visions of Apocalypse and Martyrdom in Hollywood Cinema 1980-2000 (Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2012) analyzes the divergent representations of the Apocalypse, in photograph in addition to in phrases, showing in modern Hollywood cinema.
Caroline Vander Stichele is Assistant Professor on the school of Humanities of the college of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Her study and courses specialise in gender matters in early Christian literature and at the cultural impression of the Bible. She additionally co-edited numerous volumes, together with Text, photo, and Otherness in Children’s Bibles: what's within the Picture? (2012) with Hugh Pyper and Hidden Truths from Eden: Esoteric Readings from Genesis 1–3 (2014) with Susanne Scholz.
Read or Download Close Encounters between Bible and Film: An Interdisciplinary Engagement (Semeia Studies Book 87) PDF
Best christian reference books
This hugely unique remark, a part of the hot overseas observation, is exclusive for how it combines issues with first-century tradition within the Roman international with realizing the textual content of Luke as a wholistic, ancient narrative.
The Texts @ Contexts sequence gathers scholarly voices from diversified contexts and social destinations to convey new or unexpected points of biblical texts to mild. Joshua and Judges focuses recognition on issues and tensions before everything of Israel’s tale within the Bible. How do those books symbolize conquest, battle, trauma, violence opposed to girls and their marginalization?
Within the look for Matthean theology, students overwhelmingly process the Gospel of Matthew as 'the so much Jewish Gospel'. stories of its Sitz im Leben concentrate on its dating to Judaism, even if arguing from the point of view that Matthew wrote from a cloistered Jewish neighborhood or because the chief of a Gentile uprising opposed to any such Jewish neighborhood.
Lucas, el más largo de los cuatro Evangelios, es único por los detalles históricos que ofrece y por cómo posiciona a Jesús como el Salvador-Rey no solo de los judíos, sino de toda los angeles humanidad. John MacArthur explica cada versículo de una manera doctrinalmente precisa y sumamente práctica. Teniendo en cuenta los contextos culturales, teológicos y del Antiguo Testamento en cada pasaje, MacArthur afronta los retos interpretativos y evalúa los diferentes puntos de vista de una forma equitativa que brinda al lector confianza en sus conclusiones.
- A Postcolonial African American Re-reading of Colossians: Identity, Reception, and Interpretation under the Gaze of Empire (Postcolonialism and Religions)
- Historical Jesus?: Necessity and Limits of an Inquiry (Jewish and Christian Text)
- The Sermon on the Mount in the Light of the Temple (Society for Old Testament Study Monographs)
- James in Postcolonial Perspective: The Letter as Nativist Discourse
- Global Perspectives on the New Testament
- Bodily Resurrection and Ethics in 1 Cor 15: Connecting Faith and Morality in the Context of Greco-Roman Mythology (Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament / 2. Reihe)
Additional resources for Close Encounters between Bible and Film: An Interdisciplinary Engagement (Semeia Studies Book 87)