By David Killingray
Read or Download Africans in Britain (Special Issue of "Immigrants & Minorities") PDF
Best uk history books
The Conservative, Lord Randolph Churchill, and the Liberal, Joseph Chamberlain, have been admired in Irish political beliefs from the mid 1870s. even supposing on contrary aspects of the home, they united in 1886 and back in 1893 to defeat the 1st and moment domestic Rule accounts. whereas ostensibly diverse in historical past, politics, and temperament, they have been eventually united of their universal desire-to hinder an Irish Parliament in Dublin.
Utilizing south-western England as a spotlight for contemplating the ongoing position of witchcraft and demonology in provincial tradition within the interval among the English and French revolutions, Barry indicates how witch-beliefs have been intricately woven into the material of way of life, even at a time once they arguably ceased to be of curiosity to the knowledgeable.
This examine is worried with the 'Old' Labour correct at a serious juncture of social democratic and Labour politics. It makes an attempt to appreciate the complicated transition from so-called 'Old correct' to 'New correct' or 'New Labour', and locates a minimum of a number of the roots of the latter within the complexity, tensions and fragmentation of the previous in the course of the 'lean' years of social democracy within the Nineteen Seventies.
This publication explores the emergence and progress of country accountability for more secure and fitter operating practices in British mining and the responses of labour and to increasing rules and regulate. It starts with an overview of operating perform within the coal and metalliferous mining industries on the sunrise of the 19th century and the dangers concerned for the miners, earlier than charting the increase of reforming curiosity in those industries.
- Arms and the State: Sir William Armstrong and the Remaking of British Naval Power, 1854–1914 (Modern Economic and Social History)
- Britain and Disarmament: The UK and Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Weapons Arms Control and Programmes 1956-1975
- Customs and Excise: Trade, Production, and Consumption in England, 1640-1845: Trade, Production and Consumption in England 1640-1845
- Early Medieval Monetary History: Studies in Memory of Mark Blackburn (Studies in Early Medieval Britain and Ireland)
- Before the Ironclad: Warship Design and Development 1815-1860
- Sources for Modern Irish History 1534–1641 (Sources of History)
Additional info for Africans in Britain (Special Issue of "Immigrants & Minorities")