By Ryan K. Balot
- Offers a vast survey of historic political suggestion from Archaic Greece via overdue Antiquity
- Approaches old political philosophy from either a normative and old focus
- Examines Greek and Roman political concept inside historic context and modern debate
- Explores the position of historic political concept in a number of philosophies, akin to the person and neighborhood, human rights, faith, and cosmopolitanism
Read Online or Download A Companion to Greek and Roman Political Thought (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar political philosophy books
This examine makes a tremendous contribution to our realizing of 1 of crucial and enduring strands of contemporary political notion. Annelien de Dijn argues that Montesquieu's aristocratic liberalism - his conviction that the upkeep of freedom in a monarchy required the life of an aristocratic 'corps intermédiaire' - had a persisted effect on post-revolutionary France.
The query of while or if a state may still intrude in one other country’s affairs is among the most crucial issues in today’s risky global. Taking John Stuart Mill’s recognized 1859 essay “A Few phrases on Non-Intervention” as his start line, diplomacy pupil Michael W. Doyle addresses the thorny factor of whilst a state’s sovereignty might be revered and whilst it may be overridden or left out by means of different states within the identify of humanitarian defense, nationwide self-determination, or nationwide defense.
This edited assortment bargains a comparative method of the subject of multiculturalism, together with assorted authors with contrasting arguments from assorted philosophical traditions and ideologies. It places jointly views which were mostly ignored as legitimate normative how one can handle the political and ethical questions that come up from the coexistence of other cultures within the similar geographical area.
Whereas a lot literature exists at the paintings of Stanley Cavell, this is often the 1st monograph on his contribution to politics and functional philosophy. As Andrew Norris demonstrates, notwithstanding skepticism is Cavell's vital subject, Cavell is aware it no longer as an epistemological challenge or place, yet as an existential one.
- New Forms of Governing: A Foucauldian inspired analysis
- A Friendship That Lasted a Lifetime: The Correspondence Between Alfred Schutz and Eric Voegelin (The Eric Voegelin Institute Series in Political Philosophy)
- Equality Renewed: Justice, Flourishing and the Egalitarian Ideal (Routledge Innovations in Political Theory)
- Radical Media: Rebellious Communication and Social Movements
- Individual Choice and State-Led Nationalist Mobilization in China: Self-interested Patriots
- Black Heretics, Black Prophets: Radical Political Intellectuals (Africana Thought)
Additional info for A Companion to Greek and Roman Political Thought (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)